How to use course reserves
Reserve Loan Periods
- Ask for the items you need at the Circulation Desk on
the first floor.
- You need a valid MCard to check out reserve items.
- No more than three reserve items can be checked out at
- Reserve materials may not be renewed, held for a user,
or reserved for a later time period.
- Patron information is confidential in compliance with the library's
Fines for Overdue Reserves
- 2 Hour - in-library use only; must be returned within two hours of check-out time.
- 3 Hour - can be checked out for home use for three hours.
- 4 Hour- in-library use only; must be returned within four hours of check-out time.
- 24 Hour - can be checked out for home use; due 24 hours from the time they are checked out.
- 2 Day - can be checked out for home use for 2 days.
- 3 Day - can be checked out for home use for 3 days.
- 7 Day - can be checked out for home use for 7 days.
- 2, 3, 4 and 24 hour reserve items - $1.00 per hour.
- 2, 3 and 7 day items - $5.00 per day.
- DO NOT return reserve materials to the drop box, give them to a staff person at the Circulation Desk.
- Deadlines (to ensure materials are available by first day of classes) -
- Lists for Winter semester are due by November 17
- Lists for Spring/Summer semester are due by April 26
- Lists for Fall semester are due by August 13
- Please allow 3-5 days for processing after Reserve forms are received by the
What can be put on Reserve?
How to put materials on Reserve
- The Reserve Service will purchase most items requested for Reserve if the Library does not own a copy.
- We may not be able to purchase:
- very expensive works
- multiple copies of multi-volume sets
- out-of-print items.
- Once the purchased item has been received in the Reserve Department, an e-mail will be sent to the
requester indicating the item has been received and placed on Reserve for the course.
- The Reserve Office will accept personally-owned books and videos from faculty and staff in accordance with copyright restrictions.
- Items borrowed from other libraries cannot be placed on Reserve unless the professor obtains written permission from the loaning institution.
Copyright and Multiple Copies
- Complete the online Reserve Form. As you fill out the form, please remember:
- If materials that you need are not already owned
by the library, we will try to obtain them, following
- The library will follow guidelines for copyright
and multiple copies.
- Select a loan period that fits the needs of your
- Provide the library with any personal copies you want
to have on Reserve.
- Reserve requests are generally processed in 3-5 working
days from the time they are received.
- The Reserve service functions as an extension of classroom
reading and/or reflects an individual student's right to
photocopy copyrighted materials for personal use under
the doctrine of "Fair Use".
- The Reserve Office honors faculty requests for photocopied
materials within the bounds of current copyright legislation.
- For materials that require copyrighted permission, faculty
will need to supply a full bibliographic citation along
with the Name, Address, Publisher, Year, and a phone number
of the copyright holder.