Mission and Vision Statement
The University of Michigan-Dearborn community recognizes that the Mardigian Library's
resources, services and its contributions to the university are indispensable for
achieving the University's mission.
Create a dynamic student-centered environment that fosters learning by providing access
to authoritative sources of knowledge and information and by teaching students
critical information literacy skills and concepts.
- Student learning is our first priority.
- Faculty members are essential partners for encouraging and teaching students to
use the library's information resources effectively.
- Support for faculty scholarship is essential to achieving the University's mission.
- Each library staff member is responsible for making every effort to see to it
that each library user's interactions with the library result in a positive
- Organizational integrity, teamwork, collaboration, flexibility and risk-taking
are essential to accomplishing the library's mission.
- Proactive engagement and collaboration with the University of Michigan community
and with the larger library community are essential to accomplishing the library's
- Library staff members' responsibilities include active engagement with the
campus community to support achievement of the University's mission.
Strategic Emphases 2010-2015
- Engage campus - learn, anticipate, participate, serve, listen/communicate
- Library units collect user feedback about their interactions with the library
on an ongoing basis to measure our effectiveness at providing quality service
and to guide decisions about the resources and services that we offer.
- Create and sustain an active, dynamic relationship among students, faculty and
staff to enhance the quality of services that the library offers.
- Proactively employ all media that enable library staff to have timely and
effective communications with the campus community.
- Optimize technology - implement, develop, adapt, maintain technology to optimize user access to resources, and to meet user needs and staff needs
- Keep informed about new technologies to support services to users and staff
efficiently and effectively.
- Develop and maintain a strong and effective digital presence.
- Align resources/content decisions with university mission and priorities, degree
programs, course offerings and faculty research interests
- Library units align job responsibilities, workflow and financial resources
with user needs and future trends.
- Work closely with academic units throughout the university to ensure that
the library provides access to intellectual content that students and faculty
members need for teaching and learning.
- Seek out opportunities for collaborative relationships; develop and maintain
those relationships where they currently exist.
- Develop staff to acquire, maintain and strengthen skills, knowledge, abilities
that enable them to be successful, both in achieving the library's mission and
in their professional development.
- Create and sustain an environment that supports continuous staff growth and
- Provide training and development opportunities for all library staff members.
Approved by A-Team
January 27, 2011