School of Education | University of Michigan-Dearborn Archives
The University of Michigan-Dearborn opened in the fall of 1959, and in the fall of 1960 a small teacher certification program was added to the Liberal Arts Division (now College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters). By 1969, under the leadership of its first faculty chairman, Paul D. Carter, it had grown into one of the largest academic departments on the campus. In 1971, the department became the Division of Urban Education, with its own regentally appointed associate dean, Richard W. Morshead. The name changed to the Division of Education May 20, 1977. In 1987 the Division became the School of Education, led by Dean Morshead, who was replaced by John Poster in 1990, who returned to the classroom in 2005. He was replaced by Dean Paul Zionts. In 2004, in addition to undergraduate education, SOE offers an M.A. in Education, a Master of Public Administration (formerly a CASL interdisciplinary degree), an M.A. in Adult Instruction and Performance Technology, and an M. Ed. in Special Education: Learning Disabilities/Emotional Impairments, a program offered entirely online.
The School of Education is a fully accredited professional unit of the University of Michigan. It also carries the approval of the Higher Learning Commission and the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. As a teacher preparation institution, it is a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, the Michigan Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, and the Teacher Education Council of State Colleges and Universities. Its certification programs were last approved through the periodic review of the Michigan Department of Education in 1995.
The Liberal Arts Division was originally housed in the Classroom and Office Building. The Education program resided in the Faculty Office Building from 1990/91-2003, at times sharing office space with the College of Engineering. SOE moved to the Fairlane Center on Hubbard Drive in December 2003.