Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Wall, C. Edward Papers | University of Michigan-Dearborn Archives

Name: Wall, C. Edward Papers
Variant Name: Edward C. Wall


Historical Note:

C. Edward Wall was born in Cherokee, Iowa on March 3, 1942. He married Mary Ellen Stratton on September 1, 1962 and has four children. Wall resides in Ypsilanti, MI.

In 1964, Wall received his Bachelor of Arts in history, political science and Chinese language and civilization from the University of Iowa. He then went to the University of Michigan and worked toward a Master of Arts degree in Chinese Military history and also got his Masters in Library Science in 1966. In July of 1967, he became the fifth director of UM-D’s library and dedicated himself to developing the collection. By 1973, he had boosted the library’s collection from 50,000 volumes to more than 120,000. Between 1967 and 1982, Wall participated in around thirty committees ranging from national associations to on-campus groups.

Wall was driving force behind the building of the new UM-D library, which was completed in 1980. He made certain that art, particularly glasswork, would be displayed all over the new building. His passion for art helped spark an interest on campus and set the tone for the Art Museum Project. Through his influence, students and visitors today can enjoy the art glass pieces and other art works displayed throughout the Mardigian Library.

Wall founded the Pierian Press in 1968. The Pierian Press is based in Ann Arbor and publishes reference materials and works pertaining to Library Science.

C. Edward Wall was born in Cherokee, Iowa on March 3, 1942. He married Mary Ellen Stratton on September 1, 1962 and has four children. Wall resides in Ypsilanti, MI.

In 1964, Wall received his Bachelor of Arts in history, political science and Chinese language and civilization from the University of Iowa. He then went to the University of Michigan and worked toward a Master of Arts degree in Chinese Military history and also got his Masters in Library Science in 1966. In July of 1967, he became the fifth director of UM-D’s library and dedicated himself to developing the collection. By 1973, he had boosted the library’s collection from 50,000 volumes to more than 120,000. Between 1967 and 1982, Wall participated in thirty committees ranging from national associations to on-campus groups.

Wall was driving force behind the building of the new UM-D library, which was completed in 1980. He made certain that art, particularly glasswork, would be displayed all over the new building. His passion for art helped spark an interest on campus and set the tone for the Art Museum Project. Through his influence, students and visitors today can enjoy the art glass pieces and other art works displayed throughout the Mardigian Library.

Wall retired in 1982, and was replaced by his associate director, Shirley Smith.

Wall founded the Pierian Press in 1968. The Pierian Press is based in Ann Arbor and publishes reference materials and works pertaining to Library Science.

Due to macular degeneration, Wall retired from Pierian Press in 2007.  He continues to donate works of art from his personal art collection, which still holds 1600 artworks, many in Studio Glass. Among various other activities, he raises old and rare tulips, some dating back to 1585. His collection of a special kind of tulips --  “broken tulips” – may be the largest collection in the United States. [ew 3-12]




Page Generated in: 0.166 seconds (using 97 queries).
Using 8.1MB of memory. (Peak of 8.28MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign