Home > Digital Bookplates > Quigley Collection

Donated to the Mardigian Library
The University of Michigan-Dearborn

May Quigley and Douglas Boynton looking at the "Speaking Picture Book", 1954 © The Grand Rapids Press. All rights reserved.
Used with permission.

May G. Quigley Collection

The May G. Quigley Collection contains approximately 4,000 children's books published from the early 1800s until the 1970s. May Quigley, the first children's librarian at the Grand Rapids Public Library, began collecting outstanding children's books in 1904 so that teachers and parents could have access to quality children's literature. She also inspired a number of individuals to become authors, most notably Meindert de Jong who received the Newbery Medal for The Wheel on the School.

The Grand Rapids Public Library donated the collection to the Mardigian Library in 2001 because of the University's commitment to continue May Quigley's original purpose of making a representative collection of quality children's literature available to teachers and prospective teachers.

 

All Bookplates | Related: Balbach Collection, The Bravender Gift | Search for Juvenile Books