An increasing reliance on cell phones is a reality today, however, the use of cell phones can be disruptive in public places. The Mardigian Library has established this policy to provide for cell phone use while also supporting an environment that promotes study and research. Your cooperation is essential in helping us make everyone’s experience at the Mardigian Library a positive one.
A. Cell Phone Use:
No Phone Zones:
- Quiet cell phone use is permitted in:
- 3rd and 4th floors (these floors are reserved for silent study)
- Circulation desk and other user service points in the library
- The corridor between rooms 1208-1216
- Restrooms on all floors
- Emergency exits/stairwells
Phone Friendly Zones:
- Quiet cell phone use is allowed everywhere else in the building
You may be asked to leave the building if you use a cell phone in a " No Phone Zone", or if you carry on a conversation on your cell phone in a loud and/or disruptive manner.
B. How you can help:
- Turn your cell phone off, or, set the ringer to “vibrate” before entering the Library.
- Cell phone conversations should be kept to a minimum, conducted only in "Phone Friendly Zones", and conducted quietly
- If you are using your cell phone in a public stairwell, please do not block stairway traffic.
- To minimize noise, consider the option of using text messaging while in the library, instead of conducting phone conversations.
- If you receive a call when you are in a "No Phone Zone," move immediately to the stairwell, or the nearest "Phone Friendly Zone," talking in low volume as you do so.
- Report any inappropriate, disruptive behavior by contacting library staff at the User Services desk.