Mardigian Library
Search Summon™


Hours and Building Information | My Account | Requesting Books, Databases, Articles | Guests and Alumni | Faculty/Instruction | Miscellaneous Information | Contact Us

Click on a question below to get the answer. If your question isn't answered below, contact us by selecting "Ask-A-Question" from the Get Help menu above.


Hours and Building Information

1.1 How late is the library open?

Hours are posted at the top of each library page by hovering over the "Today's Hours" icon. Hours vary throughout the term due to events on the academic calendar. For current hours, see the Hours page.
1.2 Where is the library located? Where do I park?

We are centrally located on the UM-Dearborn main campus between the University Center and the Institute for Advanced Vehicle Systems. Visitor parking is free in the Monteith Parking Structure. See Parking Services for more information. Maps and directions can be found on the Campus Maps and Directions page.
1.3 Do you have quiet places to study?


• Yes, the 3rd and 4th floors are reserved for silent study. Please use your cell phone only in the stairwell on these floors.
• Group study is permitted on the 1st and 2nd floors.

1.4 Do you have group study rooms?

Yes, we have two group study rooms on the second floor than can accommodate approximately 8 to 10 people. A valid UM-Dearborn student MCard is required. You can also see room availability and reserve a group study room online.
1.5 Do you have free Wi-Fi?

Yes, students, faculty and staff can access the secure UM-Dearborn wireless network with their UMID and password. See Eliminate Wireless Logins with XpressConnect to connect automatically. Alumni and guests can get a temporary ID and password for the wireless network from the front desk.
1.6 Does the library have a computer lab? What are its hours?

Yes there are computer labs in rooms 1070 & 1210. For more information about the computer lab locations and hours, see the ITS Computer Labs website (the lab is operated by UM-Dearborn's Information Technology Services, not the library).
1.7 I'm having problems with a computer in the library. Where do I go for help?

The library computers, with the exception of guest and alumni computers are maintained by Information Technology Services. Contact the ITS help desk for assistance. For guest and alumni computers, ask for assistance at the front desk..
1.8 What software is available on library computers?

Computers in the library have standard software packages that are also available in ITS computer labs.
1.9 I used to be able to purchase software in the library through ITS, but the office is gone. What do I do now?

Microsoft, Adobe, EndNote, Mathematica, MatLab, SPSS & more...are now sold by the Computer Showcase to UM-Dearborn campus members! This change will allow you to purchase software online, over the phone, and at one of the Computer Showcase stores. Software will no longer be sold on the Dearborn campus. If you have questions, call the Computer Showcase locations in the Michigan Union (734) 647-2537 or Pierpont Commons (734) 647-9678.
1.10 Does the library have a scanner or printer? Do they charge for printing?

Yes, but only students, faculty, and staff may use scanners and color printers in the ITS computer labs using the University's UPrint system. Cost is 5¢ per page for black and white and 30¢ for color. For more information about the computer lab, see the ITS Computer Labs website (the lab is operated by UM-Dearborn's Information Technology Services, not the library).
1.11 What is UPrint?

UPrint is a networked printing service for students in all UM-Dearborn schools and colleges. Registered students are allocated a 500 page quota free each term (Winter, Fall, Spring/Summer). Each time you print from a lab or library computer, your account is debited 5¢ for black/white or 30¢ for color pages. Click on print as you would normally do. Your print job will be stored in the queue until you are ready to print it. To retrieve or cancel your print job, go to the release station at any UPrint printer on campus. For more information see the UPrint website.
1.12 Where are the copy machines? Do they accept cash or do I need a copy card?

Photocopiers are located on the first floor, next to the main stairwell. We do not use copy cards; copiers accept change or dollar bills. Copies are 10¢ each.
1.13 Does the library have a public fax machine?

Yes. The Mardigian Library offers outgoing fax service for $1.00 per page. Go to the front desk, and a library employee will send the fax for you. We cannot receive incoming faxes. Payments must be made in cash only, and there are no refunds. For more information, please see our fax service page.
1.14 Does the library have a pay phone?

No, there is no pay phone in the Mardigian Library. The nearest pay phone is in the University Center, near the Information Desk.
1.15 Is there somewhere in the library where I can buy pens, blue books, etc.?

A vending machine with blue books, Scantron® forms, and basic office supplies such as pens and pencils is available underneath the staircase on the first floor.
1.16 Is food allowed in the library? Does the library have food or beverage vending machines?

Food and beverages are permitted in the library. Club Cappuccino (313-336-3145), near the library entrance, offers specialty coffees, muffins, bagels, croissants, and more. The McKinley Cafe in the University Center offers additional food options. Delivery of food to the library (such as pizza) is not permitted. There are no food or beverage vending machines in the library.
1.17 Where is the Writing Center?

The main location for the Writing Center is in the CASL Building. There is another location on the second floor of the Mardigian Library on the west side of the building. For more information on locations and hours, visit the Writing Center website.
1.18 Where is the Alfred Berkowitz Gallery? What is the next exhibit and when is the opening?

The Berkowitz Gallery is on the 3rd floor of the library. For more information about the gallery and exhibit dates, check the Berkowitz gallery website and the university calendar.
1.19 What is the Office of Metropolitan Impact and where can I find it?

The Office of Metropolitan Impact is located in the Ford Collaboratory on the 1st floor of the library. Visit the Office of Metropolitan Impact website for more information.
1.20 I heard that there is a TV production studio in the library. Can I use it for a class assignment or for a student organization project?

Yes, Campus Media Services, which is part of CASL, can assist you in determining your media needs, preparing scripts, and supervising distribution of your productions. To see what services are available and for more information, see Campus Media Services.
1.21 Where can I find the Hub for Teaching and Learning Resources?

The Hub for Teaching and Learning Resources is located in the Social Sciences Building.
1.22 Where is the Armenian Research Center?

The Armenian Research Center is not in the library; it is in the Fairlane Center. Call 313-593-5181 for hours and information.

My Account

2.1 What do UM-Dearborn students, faculty, and staff need in order to check out materials?

You need your MCard (8 Digit UMID) and a library password (PIN). See MCards and UMID Numbers for further information.
2.2 Why do I need a library password (PIN)? How do I create a library password (PIN)?

The library password (PIN) allows you to access licensed research databases, online journals, and other electronic resources from off campus; place interlibrary loan requests; place a hold by using the "Request" button; or access My Library Account.

If you haven't established a PIN, go to My Library Account at the top of any library web page. Type in your last name and UMID. Do NOT enter a PIN the first time; leave this field blank. Click the "Log In" button. You will then need to re-enter your log in information. This time, enter a new library password (PIN) and re-enter it to confirm.
2.3 I can't remember my library password (PIN). What do I do?

Click the Forgot my library password (PIN) link after indicating your status (faculty, student, guest, etc.) on the My Library Account page. This form will send an e-mail with a link allowing you to reset your library password (PIN). If your library record does not include a valid e-mail address, you can request help in person, use the Ask-A-Question service, or contact the library at 313-593-5559. For more information, see PIN Help.
2.4 How can I find out what I have checked out or when it is due? How can I renew a book?

Click on My Library Account at the top of any library web page. You will need your 8-digit UMID and your library password (PIN) to log in. After you log in, you can see what you have checked out, due dates, any outstanding fines, and more.
2.5 What is My Reading History? How do I turn on/off My Reading History?

My Reading History is an opt-in service that will allow you to maintain a list of items you have previously checked out. Go to My Reading History for more information.
2.6 I received a notice that my book is due soon or overdue? How much are fines and how do I pay a fine?

Fees are imposed on overdue items and vary by the type of item. Generally, books and audio visual materials owned by UM-Dearborn have a fine of 25¢ per day. Other items, such as reserve or recall items have much higher fees.

It is important to make sure your fines are paid because a Banner hold will be placed on your account if fees exceed $5. A Banner hold will prevent you from registering for classes. You can pay online by clicking on the "unpaid fines and bills" link in your Library Account. Go to Notices and Fines for a fee schedule, other payment methods, and additional information.
2.7 How do I get a replacement MCard?

Currently registered students can obtain a new or replacement Photo ID card by going to the Information Desk in the University Center. Proof of current registration is required to obtain an identification card. See Photo ID - MCard for further information.

Requesting Books, Databases, Articles

3.1 How can I check if to see if the library has a book I need?

The library's catalog contains the books and e-books that the library gets. You can find a link to the catalog on the front page of the library's home page or you can go directly to the catalog's web page.
3.2 I'm looking for a textbook for my class. Do you have it?

As a rule, the library does not collect textbooks for classes. But, there is a slim chance that we either have a copy of the textbook or have an older edition of it. Check the library catalog.
3.3 How can I find out if the library has a specific journal?

From the library's home page, click the Find a Journal link. From here, you can search for a title or browse titles of journal by subject. If you are looking for an article but can't find the journal on the list, you may be able to get it through our Interlibrary Loan service (ILLiad).
3.4 What is a research database and how do I get to one (like JSTOR, ProQuest, ScienceDirect, etc.)?

A research database is a collection of electronic journals books, articles, or other types of information (such as statistical data), that is usually organized by subject.
• If you know the name of the database you are looking for, click Find a database on the library's home page. Click on the first letter of its name below the heading and scroll to the database you need.
• If you are looking for a database in a certain subject area (Anthropology, for example), choose the subject from the scrollable list on right side of the Databases A-Z page.

3.5 My professor or instructor said that I need to look at something on "Course Reserve". How can I get at that?

Go to the library's home page and click on "Course Reserves" (under "Services" on the left side of the page) or go directly to the Course Reserves page. Sometimes, however, the instructor means "electronic reserve". If that is the case, you need to check Canvas.
3.6 I'm looking for a movie. Do you have it?

To find out, go to the library's home page and click on the link that says Find books in the library catalog. On the next page, click on the Video tab. Or, go directly to the Video Search.
3.7 Can I access library materials from home?

Yes, students who are registered for the current semester, faculty, and staff have access to library materials from off campus. Student records are usually updated within the first couple of days of each new semester. You will be automatically asked for your Last Name, UMID, and Library password (PIN) after you click on a database or journal link: see the example of the authentication screen. For more information, see Help using library resources from off campus.
3.8 I'm having a problem using a library database from home. Please help me!


Faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students: Try starting from the library's home page. You should be automatically asked for your Last Name, UMID, and Library password (PIN) after you click on a database or journal link: see the example of the authentication screen. If you are having problems please perform the following checks:

• If you get an error message that says, "Sorry, the information you submitted was invalid. Please try again" make sure you are entering your last name and not your uniquename.
• Contact the front desk to make sure your patron record is current.
• Contact the Library Research Center to make sure we subscribe to what you need.
• If you are not prompted to authenticate or are still having problems, send a message to For more information, see Help using library online resources.

Students not currently enrolled: If you are a student, you must be registered for the current term to access library resources online. Student records are usually updated within the first couple days of each new term. Students who are not taking classes this semester but need access to databases for course-related research (such as finishing an incomplete) send a request through Ask a question explaining your situation. Include your professor's name and class. For more information, see Help using library online resources.

3.9 How long can books, DVDs, etc. be checked out?

Loan periods vary depending on your status (faculty, student, etc.) and what type of material you are checking out (book, DVD, etc.). Generally, books owned by UM-Dearborn have a three week loan period for students and can be renewed up to three times. Renewals may be limited if someone else requests an item you have checked out (recall). See Loan Periods for further information.
3.10 I want to get a book. The computer says it is available, but I won't be on campus until tomorrow (or the next day). Can you hold it for me until I can pick it up?

Yes, hold requests may be placed by logging into your library account, searching for an item, and clicking on the "Request" button. Then wait for the confirmation screen. Requests will be processed and delivered to the front desk within 24 hours (Monday-Thursday), and in 2 to 3 days (Friday-Sunday) For more information, see our Hold Request Service page.
3.11 I need a book that is checked out. Is there a way that I can get it?

Yes. You can request to have the book recalled by filling out the online request form. If the item is eligible for recall, the current borrower will receive a notice to return the item within 10 days from the date that the library sent out the notice. You will receive an e-mail once the book is returned. For more information, see Holds and Recalls.
3.12 UM-Dearborn's library doesn't have a book or journal article that I need. Can I still get it?

In most cases, you can get items from other libraries through MeLCat or ILLiad.
MeLCat: You can get books and audio-visual materials from other libraries by submitting a request through MeLCat. MeLCat is a service provided by the Michigan eLibrary that allows libraries to send books to each other. Try MeLCat first for faster delivery of books and A/V items. When the item arrives at the Mardigian Library, we will notify you by e-mail. Generally, books arrive in approximately 5 to 7 days, but can vary depending on the institution from where it is sent.
Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad): ILLiad is a service that allows you to request articles that are not found in the University of Michigan-Dearborn's collection and books that are not found in MeLCat.
• UM-Dearborn students, faculty, and staff can also use their MCard (UM photo ID card) to check out books from most UM-Ann Arbor libraries and UM-Flint libraries. You can also borrow materials from other participating libraries.

See the Interlibrary Loan page for further information.

Guests and Alumni

4.1 Can guests visit your library?

Yes, guests are welcome to visit the library and use materials here. You can also access the databases on our guest computers.
4.2 I am not a UM-Dearborn student, faculty, or staff member. Can guests check out books? Can I use research databases?


• You can check out books if your university or public library belongs to MeLCat, is a Visiting Patron library, is a reciprocal borrowing institution, or is an Infopass institution, You can also purchase a guest card for $60 per year ($30 for senior citizens over 65). See Who can borrow materials for more information.
• Because of our license agreements, the only way that you can access our databases is to come into the library and use our public computers or your own computer.

4.3 Can alumni of UM-Dearborn use the library?

Yes, alumni are welcome to come in and use the library. You can get a free library card to check out books and you are eligible to access a limited number of research databases. See Alumni Services for more information.

4.4 Do UM-Dearborn alumni have borrowing privileges at UM-Ann Arbor libraries?

No, but you may purchase a guest card at the Hatcher Graduate Library.

4.5 Do UM-Ann Arbor or UM-Flint alumni have borrowing privileges at the Mardigian Library?

No, but you may purchase a guest card for $60 ($30 for seniors over 65), which will give you borrowing privileges.


5.1 I want to add links to articles on a class website. How do I create links that can be used from off-campus?

You must create a stable URL. Some research databases provide stable URLs, but some don't. To create a stable URL or to see which databases provide stable URLs, see the Off-campus Linking tool for more information.
5.2 I want to show a movie to a class. What do I need to know?

There may be copyright issues related to what can be shown in class.
• Information about copyright and showing commercial videos can be found on the Campus Policy for Commercial Videos web page.
• You can reserve UM-Dearborn library and UM-Ann Arbor videos online.

5.3 The librarian said that there is a library website for my class (Subject Guide or LibGuide). Where is it?

If you had a librarian come to your class who said there is a website for your class, first check your class's Canvas site for a link. If you can't find a link there, go to the library's home page and click on Find Subject Guides.

Miscellaneous Information

6.1 What is new at the library? How can I find out what's going on?

You can follow recent news, events, and related posts through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and our news blog.
6.2 What new books, films, etc. have been added to the library collection?

Click on the check the New Arrivals link on the main library page. To be notified by e-mail about new purchases in a particular subject or an area of interest, you can create a Preferred Search in the My Library Account section.
6.3 I'm looking for a job in the library. Where do you post job openings?

The library has a limited number of openings for students each year. To see current postings or to download an application, go to "About Us" tab on the library website, and then select Library Jobs. If you are selected as a candidate, you will be contacted by someone from the Library. You may also want to consult the University's Career Services Office or the Careers at the U website for other employment opportunities.

If you are an international student, contact the Office of International Affairs office regarding student employment on campus. The e-mail address is or you can call 313-583-6600 for more information.

6.4 I need to use APA (or Chicago or MLA) style for my paper. Where do I find information about that?

From the library's home page, click on the "Get Help" tab, and then click "Citation Sources". Or, go directly to the citation sources page.
6.5 I have a disability. How can the library help me?

UM-Dearborn provides a wide range of services to students with qualifying disabilities through Counseling and Disability Services. The staff of the Mardigian Library will assist persons with disabilities to gain access to library resources and services. For more information, see the Library Users with Disabilities page.
6.6 I'm looking for someone to proctor a test. Is there someone in the library who can do this?

No, the library does not do this. CASL Online does offer some proctoring services. You can also try the Dearborn Public Library.
6.7 I want to donate books to the library. How can I do that?

The UM-Dearborn library accepts gifts of materials from students, faculty, and the general public. For more information about what is accepted and how to make a donation, see Gifts-In-Kind Donations.
6.8 What is the next book that the R.E.A.D. Book Club will be discussing? When and where is the next meeting?

The Read, Eat, and Discuss book club meets four times per year. Check the Book Club news blog for upcoming books.

Contact Us

7.1 How do I contact someone for help?

Click on the Ask a question link that is found at the top of every library web page. You can also contact us directly by e-mail (, phone (313-593-5559), or text message (send text to 66746: start your question with "AskLRC").
7.2 What is your telephone number?


• Front Desk: 313-593-5559
• Library Research Center: 313-593-5563
• Library Administration: 313-593-5400

7.3 How can I find contact information for a specific person or subject liaisons on the library staff?

To find individual staff contact information, click the "About Us" tab on any library web page, then select Staff Directory. Liaisons for each subject area are listed under each librarian's name.
7.4 How can I leave a comment, complaint, or suggestion for the library?

From the library's home page, click the "About Us" tab, and then the Comments & Suggestions link. Alternatively, go directly to Comments and Suggestions page and choose "Report Library Noise or Inappropriate Behavior", "General Comments", or "Book Purchase Suggestions" to suggest a book purchase.


Mardigian Library
4901 Evergreen Rd.
Dearborn, MI 48128-2406
313-593-5400  fax 313-593-5561

 Suggest a Purchase,
or Report Noise