Mardigian Library
Search Summon™

UM-Dearborn History

Beginnings

  • 1956: Dec, 17, 1956, announcement of gift of Fair Lane Estate to the University of Michigan by Ford Motor Company.
  • 1957: Oct., transfer of deed from Ford Motor Company to the University of Michigan.
  • 1958: Construction began on the University of Michigan Dearborn Center.

Campus Names

  • Dearborn Center - Oct. 1, 1958
  • Dearborn Campus - March 15, 1963
  • University of Michigan-Dearborn - April 1971

Chancellors

Director William E. Stirton was the first chief executive of the Dearborn Center; Dean Norman Scott was the second. The term chancellor came into effect with the third chief executive Leonard Goodall.

  • William E. Stirton, Director, Dearborn Center, Oct. 1, 1958 - Aug. 1968. Also Vice-President of UM.
  • Norman Scott, Dean, Dearborn Center, Sept. 1968 - July 1971.
  • Leonard Goodall, Chancellor,
    July 1971 - June 1979.
  • Bernard Klein, interim Chancellor,
    July 1979 - June 1980.
  • William Jenkins, Chancellor,
    June 1980 - June 1988.
  • Blenda Wilson, Chancellor,
    July 1988 - Aug. 1992.
  • Bernard Klein, interim Chancellor,
    Sept. 1992 - Jan. 1993.
  • James Renick, Chancellor,
    Jan. 1993 - June 1999.
  • Bernard Klein, interim Chancellor,
    July 16, 1999 - June 2000.
  • Daniel E. Little, Chancellor,
    July 1, 2000 to present.

 

Buildings

  • 1958: Construction began on the University of Michigan Dearborn Center
  • 1959:
    • Classroom and Administration Building (1989: Science Building)
    • Faculty Office Building; School of Education from 1990-2003; School moved to Fairlane Center, winter 2004; became Computer and Information Science Building, winter 2004.
    • Engineering Building
    • Student Activities Building including Library (1989: Administration Building)
  • 1964-66: Apartments; by 1988 several were being used for offices; renamed CASL Annex; closed September 2004.
  • 1973:
    • Classroom and Office Building (Jan. 10, 1973); (1989: Student Services Center); name changed to Academic Services Center (June 2004)
    • Gabriel Richard Center
  • 1975: Recreation and Organization Center (ROC)
  • 1976: Parking Structure
  • 1978: Fieldhouse/Ice Arena
  • 1979: University Mall (now University Center)
  • 1980: Library (dedication April 1981)
  • 1987: Library rededicated and named Edward and Helen Mardigian Library
  • 1988: Manufacturing Systems Engineering Laboratory
  • 1989-92: Renovations to CAB, renamed Science Building 1989; add-on to CAB named Computing Wing 1989.
  • 1997:
    • School of Management Building; (name change to Social Sciences Building Winter 2004)
    • Addition to School of Engineering
    • Alfred Berkowitz Gallery opens in Library
  • 2000: Wellness Center (Jan. 14)
  • 2001:
    • Environmental Interpretive Center (June)
    • College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (Nov.)
  • 2003:

    • University Center (Nov. 10, 2003) (University Mall remodeled and renamed).

    • Fairlane Center (fall). This property was purchased in fall of 2003 from Ford Motor Company to house School of Education and the School of Management. Classes began Winter 2004.

 

 

  • 2004:

    • Social Sciences Building (formally School of Management building)
    • Computer and Information Science Building (formally School of Education building; Faculty Office Building)
  • 2005:
    • New Kindergarten Module replaces 1970s module (closed 2008)
    • Rouge River Gateway Greenway Trail opens
  • 2006:

    • Science Learning and Research Center opens
    • Institute for Advanced Vehicle Systems building opens
    • Hans Prechter Engineering Complex named
  • 2007:
    • SLRC Cassegrain telescope installed (April)
    • Borg Warner auditorium dedicated in IAVS (June 6, 2007)
  • 2008:
    • Streetscape and entrance signs (spring)
    • Child Development Center moves into facility with Oakwood Exceptional Families Program (August); name changed to Early Childhood Education center (August)
    • DENSO Climate Control Education and Research Laboratory opened in IAVS (Nov.)
    • Henry Ford Estate information kiosk (Nov.)
  • 2009:
    • Name change: School of Management becomes College of Business (July 1)
    • Connected Vehicle Proving Center moved to IAVS from AA (Aug.)
  • 2010:
    • "Extreme Pita opens in FC (Jan.)
    • Henry Ford Estate-Fair Lane closed to public (Dec.)
  • 2012:

    • Henry Ford Estate ownership transfer to the Edsel and Elenor Ford House, postponed several times during 2011, 2012
  • 2013:
    • Name change: School of Education becomes College of Education, Health, and Human Services (CEHHS) [Fall]
Mardigian Library
4901 Evergreen Rd.
Dearborn, MI 48128-2406
313-593-5400  fax 313-593-5561
ask-a-question@umd.umich.edu

Comments,
 Suggest a Purchase,
or Report Noise