Interlibrary Loan is for:
- Books, dissertations, and microforms not available in the Mardigian Library.
- Copies of periodical articles or short sections of books not available through the Mardigian Library's print or online collection.
Check the Library Catalog (for books) or Summon (for journal and magazine articles) to make sure UM-Dearborn does not own the material before placing your ILLiad request. If the title is availble in the Library Catalog you should place a Hold for the item.
To check the status of requests placed prior to July 1, 2015, please login here
Articles are usually sent as links to electronic copies. You will receive an email on your UM-Dearborn account when it arrives, or you can login to ILLiad to check. Articles are accessible to you for 5 viewings or 14 days from the date of posting.
Loan Periods and Renewals
Place a renewal request through ILLiad by selecting "Checked Out Items" from beneath View. Click on the blue transaction number of the item you wish to renew. Click on the red "Renew Request" link at the top of the next screen. If you receive any sort of error at all, a renewal may not be possible, or this item must be renewed by phone: 734-764-8584. Renewal requests can be made only 1-5 days prior to the original due date. If you are unable to renew your item during this time, please contact the Interlibrary Loan office. Please note: Renewals are granted by the lending library, and depending on restrictions that they set for the item, may be denied.
Return materials to the Mardigian Library in Dearborn or the University Libraries in Ann Arbor. It is important to return ILL books on time so as not to jeopardize our borrowing relationships with other libraries.
Are there items which I may have difficulty obtaining?
Materials that are difficult to obtain include:
- Periodical volumes less than five years old (try requesting individual articles)
- Reference books (try requesting individual entries)
- Audio/visual materials
- Bulky or fragile items
- Extremely old books
- Books on reserve, including textbooks
- Rare or valuable material such as manuscripts
- Try MeLCat first for faster delivery of books and A/V items.
- Please do not wait until the last minute to order your items.
Who can use ILL
- UM-Dearborn faculty, staff, and currently registered students
- UM-Dearborn retired faculty
- UM-Dearborn Visiting Scholars, with written confirmation of their status
from their department head
Libraries can only provide ILL services for their immediate users.
All others should contact their own public or academic library
for information about ILL.