An increasing reliance on cell phones is a reality today, however, the use of cell phones can be disruptive in public places. The Mardigian Library has established this policy to provide for cell phone use while also supporting an environment that promotes study and research. Your cooperation is essential in helping us make everyone’s experience at the Mardigian Library a positive one.
A. Cell Phone Use:
Cell phone conversation and associated noise is prohibited on:
- 3rd floor
- Berkowitz Gallery
- 4th floor
- User service desk and other user service points
- Restrooms on all floors
Quiet cell phone use is permitted in Phone Friendly Zones such as:
- Public stairwells
- Most of the 1st floor
- 2nd floor
You may be asked to leave the building if you use a cell phone in a "No Phone Zone", or if you carry on a conversation on your cell phone in a loud and/or disruptive manner.
B. How you can help:
- Turn your cell phone off, or, set the ringer to “vibrate” before entering the Library.
- Cell phone conversations should be kept to a minimum, conducted only in "Phone Friendly Zones", and conducted quietly
- If you are using your cell phone in a public stairwell, please do not block stairway traffic.
- To minimize noise, consider the option of using text messaging while in the library, instead of conducting phone conversations.
- If you receive a call when you are in a "No Phone Zone," move immediately to the stairwell, or the nearest "Phone Friendly Zone," talking in low volume as you do so.
- Report any inappropriate, disruptive behavior by contacting library staff at the User Services desk.
Approved: Library A-Team, April 12, 2018