Young Authors' Festival Writing Contest for Grades 3 - 5
Kristen Remenar's book, Groundhog's Dilemma, highlights the theme of standing up for what you believe in.
We invite students to write a personal narrative, poem, or essay related to the theme. We also encourage students to write about personal stories and memories related to standing up for what you believe in. If students do not want to write about a personal experience, they may write about someone they know, make up characters, etc.
Awards are given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners for each of the grades along with one grand prize winner.
Writing Contest Rules:
- Write to the contest theme: Standing Up For What You Believe In.
- Students in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade may enter.
- Submit one piece of writing: essay, poem, or narrative. Illustrations may be included.
- Include a unique title.
- Meet the strict 500-word limit (does not include title). Use the computer's word count feature; understand entries that exceed the 500-word limit will not be read.
- Provide original writing.
- Submit only typed entries.
- Do not include student's name on entry.
- Submit a coversheet.
Winners will receive Barnes & Noble gift cards. Winners may be invited to read an excerpt of their writing at the Young Authors' Festival (pending time restraints) on November 11, 2017.
Contest Entry Due Date: Friday, October 13, 2017
Entries must be emailed or postmarked by Friday, October 13, 2017; late entries cannot be accepted.
Winners will be notified in late October or early November.
HOW TO ENTER:
The student's name MUST NOT appear on the piece of writing, but it should include the unique title. A coversheet is required with specific details listed below.
- Full Name of Student
- Grade Level
- Unique Entry Title
- Word Count
- School Name
- School Address
- Teacher's Name
- Parent's Name
- Sponsoring adult's email address
- Sponsoring adult's telephone number
A fillable PDF coversheet is provided for download, and is preferred.
2017 YAF Writing Contest Submission Form
DIGITAL ENTRY (PREFERRED):
Email digital entries including coversheet to
Mail paper entries including a coversheet to:
Univ. of Michigan-Dearborn
Dearborn, MI 48128