Per the Governor's Executive Order, the Mardigian Library / Stamelos Gallery Center building will be closed until further notice. The Mardigian Library will continue to provide virtual research support. Librarians and Library Staff are available to answer questions from faculty, staff, and students during virtual library hours, either by email or chat. For further impact on library services, click here.

Library Virtual Hours:
There will be no virtual hours for the Memorial Day weekend (May 23 - May 25).
Monday-Thursday 8 am to 9 pm  |  Friday 8 am to 6 pm  |  Saturday & Sunday noon to 6 pm

UM-DEARBORN HISTORY

  • Beginnings
    • 1956: Dec, 17, 1956, announcement of gift of Fair Lane Estate to the University of Michigan by Ford Motor Company.
    • 1957: Oct., transfer of deed from Ford Motor Company to the University of Michigan.
    • 1958: Construction began on the University of Michigan Dearborn Center.
  • Campus Names
    • Dearborn Center - Oct. 1, 1958
    • Dearborn Campus - March 15, 1963
    • University of Michigan-Dearborn - April 1971
  • Chancellors

    Director William E. Stirton was the first chief executive of the Dearborn Center; Dean Norman Scott was the second. The term chancellor came into effect with the third chief executive Leonard Goodall.

    • William E. Stirton, Director, Dearborn Center, Oct. 1, 1958 - Aug. 1968. Also Vice-President of UM.
    • Norman Scott, Dean, Dearborn Center, Sept. 1968 - July 1971.
    • Leonard Goodall, Chancellor, July 1971 - June 1979.
    • Bernard Klein, interim Chancellor, July 1979 - June 1980.
    • William Jenkins, Chancellor, June 1980 - June 1988.
    • Blenda Wilson, Chancellor, July 1988 - Aug. 1992.
    • Bernard Klein, interim Chancellor, Sept. 1992 - Jan. 1993.
    • James Renick, Chancellor, Jan. 1993 - June 1999.
    • Bernard Klein, interim Chancellor, July 16, 1999 - June 2000.
    • Daniel E. Little, Chancellor, July 1, 2000 to present.
  • Buildings
    • 1958: Construction began on the University of Michigan Dearborn Center
    • 1959:
      • Classroom and Administration Building (1989: Science Building)
      • Faculty Office Building; School of Education from 1990-2003; School moved to Fairlane Center, winter 2004; became Computer and Information Science Building, winter 2004.
      • Engineering Building
      • Student Activities Building including Library (1989: Administration Building)
    • 1964-66: Apartments; by 1988 several were being used for offices; renamed CASL Annex; closed September 2004.
    • 1973:
      • Classroom and Office Building (Jan. 10, 1973); (1989: Student Services Center); name changed to Academic Services Center (June 2004)
      • Gabriel Richard Center
    • 1975: Recreation and Organization Center (ROC)
    • 1976: Parking Structure
    • 1978: Fieldhouse/Ice Arena
    • 1979: University Mall (now University Center)
    • 1980: Library (dedication April 1981) (That's us!)
    • 1987: Library rededicated and named Edward and Helen Mardigian Library
    • 1988: Manufacturing Systems Engineering Laboratory
    • 1989-92: Renovations to CAB, renamed Science Building 1989; add-on to CAB named Computing Wing 1989.
    • 1997:
      • School of Management Building; (name change to Social Sciences Building Winter 2004)
      • Addition to School of Engineering
      • Alfred Berkowitz Gallery opens in Library
    • 2000: Wellness Center (Jan. 14)
    • 2001:
      • Environmental Interpretive Center (June)
      • College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (Nov.)
    • 2003:
      • University Center (Nov. 10, 2003) (University Mall remodeled and renamed).
      • Fairlane Center (fall). This property was purchased in fall of 2003 from Ford Motor Company to house School of Education and the School of Management. Classes began Winter 2004.
    • 2004:
      • Social Sciences Building (formally School of Management building).
      • Computer and Information Science Building (formally School of Education building; Faculty Office Building).
    • 2005:
      • New Kindergarten Module replaces 1970s module (closed 2008).
      • Rouge River Gateway Greenway Trail opens.
    • 2006:
      • Science Learning and Research Center opens.
      • Institute for Advanced Vehicle Systems building opens.
      • Hans Prechter Engineering Complex named.
    • 2007:
      • SLRC Cassegrain telescope installed (April).
      • Borg Warner auditorium dedicated in IAVS (June 6, 2007).
    • 2008:
      • Streetscape and entrance signs (spring).
      • Child Development Center moves into facility with Oakwood Exceptional Families Program (August); name changed to Early Childhood Education center (August).
      • DENSO Climate Control Education and Research Laboratory opened in IAVS (Nov.).
      • Henry Ford Estate information kiosk (Nov.).
    • 2009:
      • Name change: School of Management becomes College of Business (July 1).
      • Connected Vehicle Proving Center moved to IAVS from AA (Aug.).
    • 2010:
      • "Extreme Pita" opens in FC (Jan.).
      • Henry Ford Estate-Fair Lane closed to public (Dec.).
    • 2012: Henry Ford Estate ownership transfer to the Edsel and Elenor Ford House, postponed several times during 2011, 2012
    • 2013: Name change: School of Education becomes College of Education, Health, and Human Services (CEHHS) [Fall].

Did you know?

  • 3D Printer in the Library
  • The Mardigian Library has one LulzBot 3D printer and we offer a 3D printing service for current students, faculty, and staff of the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

  • Please visit our 3D Printing Service page for information on 3D printing, resources for students and faculty, and how to submit your 3D Print Requests.